The Covid travel ban is off, and you also might be one of the many people rushing towards a relaxing vacation on the sandy beaches of Maldives. The place is indeed heaven on Earth with its white sandy beaches and crystal clear waters. Amidst this, one might wonder why you need a VPN in the Maldives when technology is probably the last thing on your mind! Well, contrary to what you believe, there are reasons to subscribe to one of the best VPNs for the Maldives, such as:
- Unblock US Netflix and stream your favorite movie.
- You might be a journalist or a whistleblower who needs to access geo-restricted content.
- Your bank account restricts foreign logins to prevent fraud, so you need your country’s IP address.
- Using hotel-WiFi or public-WiFi without a VPN is a privacy risk and can lead to financial fraud, data theft, or identity fraud.
- The “Freedom in the World 2020 report” states the Maldives as only “partially free,” so you don’t want any stranger spying on your data.
Whatever the reason might be, attaining online privacy and security is your fundamental right, and a legitimate VPN can help you achieve that. Fortunately, several VPNs can help accomplish the online privacy and anonymity that you require.
What are the Best VPNs For Maldives?
Finding the best VPN for the Maldives is tricky, especially with the internet brimming with several VPN providers claiming to be the best. After in-depth research involving a tiringly long list of VPN providers, I have come across the following VPN providers providing unexceptional services.
|NordVPN||ExpressVPN||PIA VPN||Surfshark VPN||PureVPN|
These VPNs are secure and live up to their promise of maintaining online privacy and keeping your anonymity intact. Detailed information regarding the services they provide are as follow:
NordVPN promises to provide the optimum security and privacy it offers. The VPN provider has a reputation as one of the most reliable VPN options. Some of the key features are as follows:
- Jurisdiction: It is based in Panama, outside any surveillance jurisdiction, including 5-eyes, 9-eyes, and 14-eyes jurisdiction.
- Encryption: Provides encryption through industry-standard encryption for all its users, i.e., AES-256 bit encryption.
- VPN protocols: It supports OpenVPN, WireGuard, and IKEv2/IPsec protocols which are fast, secure, and reliable
- Number of servers: It offers 5200 VPN servers in 59 countries.
- Simultaneous connections: Nord VPN offers six simultaneous connections.
- Pricing: The yearly subscription costs $4.92 /month.
- Payment Methods: Along with traditional credit/debit cards, it allows online payments through PayPal and secure payments through Bitcoin.
- Free Trial: NordVPN allows a 7-day free trial and 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Log Policy: It promises a strict no-logs policy with a dedicated log-audit report
- P2P Support: It supports P2P through dedicated servers and various features such as split tunneling, Socks5 proxy, and an active working kill switch
- Unblocking Streaming Sites: Nord VPN works well with all popular streaming sites, let it Netflix, BBiPlayer, Hulu, or HBOMax.
- Compatibility: It is compatible with all platforms, including Windows, Mac, iOS, Android Linux, routers, and browser extensions.
Along with the necessary security features, NordVPN has a lot more to offer its users, such as IP masking and dedicated IP addresses, which help enhance user experience and privacy.
Nord VPN also works well with Tor, especially with its Onion over VPN feature. Some additional privacy-centric features include a built-in Ad and Malware blocker, secure DNS, double VPN protection, obfuscation mode, and an active working kill switch protection.
When it comes to ExpressVPN, it is undoubtedly one of the most feature-packed VPN services present in the industry. These features include:
- Jurisdiction: It is headquartered in The British Virgin Island, which is secure and not a part of 5, 9, or 14 eyes surveillance program.
- Encryption: for encryption it uses the industry-standard AES-256 bit encryption protocol.
- VPN protocols: ExpressVPN offers several VPN protocols such as OpenVPN UDP, OpenVPN TCP, L2TP/IPSec, IKEv2, and its own Lightway protocol that promises high speeds and security.
- Number of servers: It offers a whopping number of 3 000+ servers in around 94 countries – making it highly accessible and speedy in countries like the Maldives.
- Simultaneous connections: Users can have five simultaneous connections with one subscription.
- Pricing: you can get Express VPN at $12.95/mo.
- Payment Methods: Along with credit/debit cards, it allows secure payments through Bitcoin and PayPal.
- Free Trial: Although there is no free trial available, ExpressVPN offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Log Policy: Express VPN follows a strict no-logs policy and even has a third-party log audit report to prove it.
- P2P Support: There are dedicated P2P servers that help users in P2P activity
- Unblocks Streaming: It unblocks every streaming site, let it be Netflix, BBCiPlayer, Hulu, or HBOMax on most of its servers.
- Compatibility: It has user friendly apps for Windows, Linux, Mac, iOS, Android, routers, game consoles, and Smart TVs.
Apart from the generic privacy features, ExpressVPN ensures privacy and security through several other ways, such as actively working kill switch protection and split tunneling. Moreover, it also has a private DNS option which encrypts your DNS- a feature that helps prevent DNS leaks and unblock US Netflix.
If you’re looking for a feature-packed VPN, then PIA VPN might just be what you need. Its features include:
- Jurisdiction: This VPN service is headquartered in the USA, making it a part of the 5-eyes jurisdiction surveillance.
- Encryption: This VPN lets you choose between different encryptions like AES-128/256-CBC/GCM, as per your needs.
- VPN protocols: It offers two of the most secure VPN protocols that are WireGuard and OpenVPN. For iOS users, it also provides IPSec.
- Number of servers: It has an impressive number of 35,400+ servers in almost 78 countries.
- Simultaneous connections: With a single subscription to the PIA VPN, you can easily access simultaneous connections of the VPN on up to 10 devices.
- Pricing: you can get an early PIA VPN subscription at $3.33/monthly.
- Payment Methods: PIA VPN allows payment through credit/debit cards and secure payment options such as bitcoin, PayPal, and Amazon Pay.
- Free Trial: Although there is no free trial available, unsatisfied customers can get a refund through a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Log Policy: It has a strict no-log policy; however, there is no third-party log audit.
- P2P Support: PIA VPN allows P2P on all its servers.
- Unblocking: With the PIA VPN service, you can easily enjoy fast and convenient unblocking of the most popular streaming platforms like Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Disney+, BBC iPlayer, etc.
- Compatibility: It is compatible with all devices ranging from Windows, Android, Mac, iOS, and Linux.
PIA VPN provides user privacy through several other features such as an actively working kill switch protection, split tunneling, and a dedicated IP address. It also has a MACE feature that works at the DNS level to protect you from all kinds of ads, trackers, and malware requests in a faster and more efficient manner.
Moreover, it also has a shadowsocks proxy that allows users to bypass VPN restrictions. The best part of PIA VPN is that it’s an open-source code VPN allowing anyone to inspect the privacy it claims to provide.
If you’re a highly privacy-conscious person, this baby shark has a lot to offer you with its outstanding features such as:
- Jurisdiction: It is based in British Virgin Island- a country that is not a part of 5, 9, or 14-eyes jurisdiction and has no data retention laws.
- Encryption: It encrypts user data through the industry-standard AES-256-GCM encryption cipher, a robust encryption cipher.
- VPN protocols: Surfshark offers a range of VPN protocols for users to choose from, including; Shadowsocks, WireGuard, IKEv2, and OpenVPN.
- Number of servers: It has an impressive 3200+ servers in over 65 countries.
- Simultaneous connections: unlike other VPNs, Surfshark has no limitations on simultaneous connections, and you can connect as many devices as you want simultaneously.
- Pricing: You can get Surfshark at $2.49/mo in its yearly subscription.
- Payment Method: along with credit/debit cards, Surfshark allows online payment through services like Paypal, Google Pay, and Amazon Pay. It also allows anonymous payments through cryptocurrency.
- Free Trial: If you don’t find Surfshark to your liking, you can refund payments through its 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Log Policy: Surfshark is a strictly no-logs VPN provider and even has a third-party log audit report to prove it.
- P2P Support: Not only does Surfshark has dedicated P2P servers, but it also has P2P support features such as a kill switch and whitelister.
- Unblock Streaming: It unblocks majorly streaming platforms such as Netflix, HBOMax, Hulu, and BBCiPlayer.
- Compatibility: Surfshark works well with every available platform, including Windows, Android, iOS, Mac, Linux, and a lot more.
Surfshark offers users a hoard of privacy features that makes it stand out from other VPN providers. It provides a built-in malware and ad blocker known as Clean Web, a multiHop feature for added anonymity, and a NoBorders mode to bypass restriction and censorship.
Another remarkable feature by Surfshark is the RAM Only servers that wipe your entire server network once you turn off the VPN, offering you extreme reliability on the VPN with your network details. Apart from that, Surfshark also allows bypassing VPN restrictions making it easy for people living in restrictive countries like China to use a VPN.
PureVPN is a reliable and ideal option that adds more value to your online privacy and anonymity in every possible way. What makes it highly reliable are the numerous privacy and security features it provides, such:
- Jurisdiction: This Hong Kong-headquartered VPN service is secure and well-distanced from the 5, 9, and 14 eyes surveillance countries.
- Encryption: It ensures privacy through a secure AE-256 bit encryption cipher.
- VPN protocols: Purevpn offers its users various VPN protocols that you can opt for as per your use, such as; IKEv2/IPSec, L2TP/IPSec, PPTP, and OpenVPN.
- Number of servers: It offers a remarkable number of 6500+ servers in almost 140 countries.
- Simultaneous connections: With one subscription plan, PureVPN allows up to five simultaneous connections.
- Pricing: You can get a PureVPN subscription at $4.16/monthly within its yearly plan.
- Payment Method: PureVPN only allows payments through credit/debit cards along with online payment through PayPal.
- Free Trial: While there is no free trial available, PureVPN offers a 31-day money-back guarantee if you are unsatisfied with the service.
- Log Policy: PureVPN follows a certified no-log policy which is validated through its third-party log audit report.
- P2P Support: PureVPN allows P2P or file-sharing on dedicated servers and has several supportive features, too, such as kill switch protection.
- Unblock Streaming: It unblocks all major streaming sites let it be Netflix, BBCiPlayer, Hulu, and HBOMax
- Compatibility: You can use PureVPN on several platforms, including Windows, Linux, Mac, iOs, Android, and a lot more.
With PureVPN, you can get several privacy and security features designed to enhance your online security and anonymity, such as the split tunneling feature. It also offers Port Forwarding and a dedicated IP address, but these features are not available by default and are instead an add-on service.
How to Get the Best VPN for the Maldives
With the internet brimming with VPN providers claiming to be “the best,” finding a reliable VPN provider can be a hassle. From the upfront, every VPN seems promising in the privacy it claims to provide; however, keeping in consideration a few things can help evaluate “the best VPN for the Maldives.”
Since the main reason for using a VPN is to attain privacy and security, it is best to start looking into its security features such as:
VPNs use encryption to hide your data from spying. Since your privacy relies on encryption, it is best to choose a VPN provider that ensures robust encryption protocols and ciphers. So far, the most secure encryption cipher is AES-128 and AES-256 bit cipher. Similarly, several VPN protocols such as IPSec, IKeV2, and L2TP, OpenVPN TCP, OpenVPN UDP, and WireGuard are considered the most secure encryption protocols.
VPN jurisdiction determines if the VPN provider will be liable to store or monitor your internet activity based on data retention and surveillance laws. It is best to choose a VPN provider that doesn’t lie amidst the 5, 9, or 24 eyes surveillance and is not personally headquartered in a country with strict data retention laws.
Looking into the logging policy helps determine how severe a VPN provider is regarding the privacy it claims to offer. A VPN storing logs ruins the whole purpose of a VPN since it implies that your VPN provider is monitoring data, so with or without a VPN, your data remains exposed. It is, therefore, best to choose a VPN with a strict no-logs policy and possibly a third-party log audit report.
A VPN provider’s payment method gives a little insight into the privacy it can ensure. Since a VPN is an anonymity tool, it should provide anonymous and secure payment options since payments through credit/debit cards reveal too much of a person’s information. Any VPN offering online payments and payments through cryptocurrency highlights how much it values your privacy.
Apart from privacy and security, there are several other uses for a VPN. While the features mentioned above are absolutely crucial to look into, it is best to consider some other aspects too while opting for a VPN provider, such as:
You surely don’t want privacy with only one of your devices. Therefore, it is best to choose a VPN that works compatibly with several platforms.
Number of Servers:
VPN servers contribute to VPN speeds. Connecting to the closest server will give you good speeds. Also, a higher number of VPN servers means less traffic congestion on particular servers, which eventually means higher speeds.
Since you are opting for a VPN, you might as well enjoy unrestricted access to Netflix, BBCiPlayer, HBO Mac, or Amazon Prime, so choose your VPN wisely and go with the one that unblocks these platforms.
Free Trial/Money Back Guarantee:
A free trial can help you get an experience and familiarity with the VPN provider helping you decide if you want a long-term subscription or not. Similar money-back guarantees give you the leverage to change your mind. However, you won’t get a refund when you pay through bitcoin since it is an anonymous payment method.
Admittedly, good privacy comes with a price, but you don’t want a VPN that is heavy on the pocket, so it’s best you choose a VPN provider that is easily affordable for you.
Getting stuck in technicalities every time you want to access the internet can be nothing short of a headache, so it is best to choose a VPN with a smooth and user-friendly interface.
You never know when you may run into a complication or query regarding VPN usage. Therefore, counting on VPNs that offer 24/7 customer support.
Looking into these features not only helps analyze the privacy and security a VPN provides but also helps give an insight if it may be suitable for your needs or not.
VPNs work well in the Maldives, and there are no restrictions against VPN use, unlike China and Iran.
It isn’t wise to consider free VPN services, as they don’t provide optimum security and privacy. Most of the free VPNs have a limited 500 MB limit, and what is there to say that they don’t sell your data for revenue? After all, where do they earn from if their services are free?
With so many outstanding and highly reliable VPN service options for the Maldives, there’s no way you have to risk your online privacy and limit streaming/torrenting activities in any way. So go ahead, choose the best option according to your device compatibility, usage demands, and affordability and make the most out of your internet usage in the Maldives.