ISP throttling is a term for reduced internet speed, deliberately done by the internet provider. It is an extreme hassle internet users experience. It usually happens while browsing internet content and downloading files. However, with the overturning of the net-neutrality rule set, the chances of ISP throttling are extreme without any legal restrictions.
ISP usually slows down the speed due to certain reasons, such as to reduce traffic load on servers at peak times. Also, they degrade certain sites or search engines to increase traffic on their own channels or to the ones who are paying them.
Test If Beign throttled.
Most people complain about slow speed at the end of the month. It is probably because their ISP has restricted them to a certain threshold. To save data, your ISP imposes a bandwidth cap, and when you reach that data limit, your speed becomes miserably low.
There are some other reasons as well, on which you as a user could experience slow internet speed due to ISP throttling.
Reasons for ISP Throttling
- ISP may throttle bandwidth at a specific time in a day to reduce congestion on its servers.
You can confirm ISP throttling by regularly monitoring when you face such speed lags and then performing a speed test. After the speed test, compare it with your allocated bandwidth speed; if there is a huge difference, your ISP might be speed throttling.
However, to avoid ISP throttling you may use a VPN which could also help you with better speed testing.
- ISPs specify a certain data limit. Once a user reaches that, their internet slows down regardless of the traffic type. This bandwidth limit is sometimes addressed to the users. However, it might sometimes remain unknown.
When you think that you have used enough of your internet data, it’s better to check all your downloaded data and streaming content you have consumed. If it’s more than your internet package, then make sure you have all your dues cleared to evade speed lags in the future.
- ISPs specifically restrict bandwidth usage when individual access stuff like torrenting or is downloading streaming content in excess.
It is possible that you haven’t exceeded the limit of your internet data. But when ISP identifies a user in torrenting activities through IP address, they limit your speed. To confirm speed slowdown, execute the speed test with and without a VPN connection.
A VPN obscure your IP address so that you can carry on torrenting and streaming activities without your ISP’s risk.
- It is also possible that an internet provider hinders traffic to a certain website or a certain kind of traffic. For instance, an internet provider may lower the speed when a user makes heavy downloads from Netflix.
For this situation also, you need a VPN connection to check the speed performance. Yet, a VPN is beneficial to evade such issues effectively because you have many server locations to switch. Therefore, with your selected server’s IP address, you can bypass restrictions that are with your real location.
- After Net-Neutrality repeal, the throttled speed is a routine to you. This goes particularly if your internet provider decides to benefit from it, and it’s pretty obvious. This ruleset has given a free hand to the ISPs. They could prioritize content over money or favoritism, and they have no legal barriers for it now.
If you are a US citizen, your internet provider is taking advantage of the new FCC rule set. A VPN could evade this issue by connecting you to a server located in another country.
How to Bypass ISP Throttling?
At various times, we as internet users face an outdated internet speed but remain ignorant of it. A heavy file may take time, or streaming content is loading slowly due to its large size. But if you experience it frequently, then you must check and Bypass ISP throttling.
There are various ways to avoid all these situations; however, a VPN is the most comprehensive way to evade and confirm the ISP throttling in most cases.
There are many VPN providers. Some reputable VPNs offer a free trial period of a minimum of one week to test the VPN performance. Yet, it’s a good chance to test ISP throttling and resolve it at once with other security benefits.