The US hosts a wide range of exclusive content and also offers several perks to its citizens. However, privacy and security remain far-fetched ideas in this data-driven country. Ever since Edward Snowden’s revelation on simply how far the NSA goes on spying over the people, the US comes amongst the top countries practicing data surveillance and monitoring.
The country possesses stringent data retention laws that are not only applicable to US citizens but also to foreigners on vacation in the US and people looking to access US content from another country. The US is also home to several surveillance organisations, and the ISPs are bound by law to keep tabs on you and make you question every move on the internet.
You’re bound to be affected by US censorship, internet throttling, data surveillance, and security threats as long as you’re even in the vicinity of the US. Hence, to overcome the intense laws of the US, you need an equally intense protective shield. A reliable USA VPN will provide you with the ironclad security you require while battling against strict US surveillance.
CyberGhost: 7000+ optimized servers enhance your gaming, streaming, and torrenting experience. Plus, bypass ISP throttling. Compatible with Mac, Windows, iPhone, and Android.
NordVPN: comes with 5000+ servers, great speed while torrenting and gaming. You can also enjoy US Netflix From abroad. Compatible with all devices and OS.
SurfShark: With 3200+ server networks bypass throttling and download and stream unlimitedly. You can access Netflix and download torrents with privacy.
ProtonVPN provides robust digital security and allows unlimited streaming and torrenting. Enjoy a fast, stable, and reliable internet connection from anywhere and bypass ISP throttling.
Whether it’s ISP throttling, latency, or lower ping times that annoy you, you can enjoy ExpressVPN’s stable and fastest connection. Also, provide support with Netflix and Torrenting.
VyprVPN uses a proprietary Chameleon protocol that helps access the blocked torrent websites and streaming platforms. The speeds are reliable which prevents ISP throttling.
Consider your US VPN as a semi-transparent mirror. It blocks others from gaining access to your identity and activity but still allows you to explore the internet without any restrictions.
Why use a VPN for the US?
The US is one of the most active mass surveillance countries globally and possesses the authority to breach your privacy. In such dire circumstances, where your government and your ISP stand against you regarding online privacy, you need to look for a security tool that ensures privacy. That’s precisely where a VPN comes in.
A reliable US VPN service can help you gain control of your activity once again by providing the following features:
- Avoid monitoring
US surveillance is one of the chief causes for utilizing a US VPN. A VPN works by encrypting your data and changing your IP address, preventing anyone from snooping into or tracking your internet traffic. Therefore a legitimate VPN for the US will help you hide your identity and prevent data monitoring by organizations like the NSA and the Five Eyes Alliance that track, gather, and evaluate your data.
- Avoid ISP throttling
Since Net Neutrality was repealed, the US government granted ISPs the full authority to monitor, collect, and sell user activity. A significant aspect of this is that ISPs are allowed to throttle users in the name of bandwidth regulations. You might face a sudden drop in speeds at a specific time of the day or while accessing a particular website during torrenting or streaming. Although legal, ISP throttling violates our privacy. However, using a VPN for the US can help bypass ISP throttling as it encrypts your data and hides your IP address, therefore effectively hiding your online presence and activity from your ISP’s radar.
- Unblock geographical restrictions
The US is known to practice censorship on a large scale, usually for the benefit of its citizens. However, a large chunk of online media remains inaccessible because of minor legalities or content distribution based on geographical boundaries. A US VPN can help bypass censorship by rerouting your traffic through remote servers and replacing your IP address with one that isn’t blocked.
- Safe torrenting
To make it clear, torrenting in the US is, in fact, legal. However, the United States maintains harsh anti-piracy laws, which do not consider any accidental downloads and might even lead you to legal trouble. Furthermore, your IP address is visible to all the users in a torrent swarm which compromises your privacy. Hence, to ensure privacy while torrenting, it is better to use a US VPN connection to remain anonymous.
- Smooth gaming experience
Gaming is a data-intensive hobby that may trigger ISP throttling, which is already prevalent in the US. In that case, you’re in dire need of a VPN to avoid lagging and ultimately losing. A VPN also removes geo-restrictions, allowing you to access more games.
On top of that, advertisements in games or fake gaming websites might gain access to your device and track your activity. A VPN will protect these third parties from gaining access to your device and further prevent phishing, DDoS attacks, and malware attacks. It may also help prevent hackers from snooping on your webcam and recording you.
How to Choose The Best VPN for the US?
Just as a perfect recipe requires perfect ingredients, similarly, the best US VPN requires certain features that will help in increasing its privacy. Some of these features are:
- Log policy
A tight no-logs VPN service is crucial for a safer online environment in the US because let’s be honest, what use is a VPN service if your online privacy remains threatened? This is why it is necessary for you to examine your preferred VPN’s log audit report to make sure there are no data leaks. A no-log VPN is essential for US users, considering the widespread surveillance issues prevalent in the country.
Jurisdiction refers to the location where a VPN provider is based. It is crucial for you to examine your VPN service’s country to verify it doesn’t have data surveillance or data-retention laws. It should also be away from the 5, 9, and 14 eyes alliance nations that may demand a VPN service to snoop, record, or disclose information about its users.
A reliable US VPN combines speed, safety, and ease of access. Furthermore, speed becomes an even more crucial factor in the US as fast servers are relatively hard to find. Hence, while choosing a US VPN, you need to look for one capable of offering about 70Mbps local download rates for browsing and streaming in the US.
- US servers
It is essential that the VPN you chose has its servers located in the US so that you can easily connect to them without compromising on speed. Moreover, servers located far away will provide undesirable latency issues. Hence, a VPN that offers servers on the East Coast, West Coast, and the Southern States is an ideal US VPN.
- US Streaming and Torrenting
A VPN protects you from the US government’s detrimental interference in your affairs, but you can also use it as an entertainment gadget. A reliable USA VPN must necessarily unblock premium streaming websites and content. Moreover, you should also test the VPN’s ability to protect user privacy when torrenting and transferring P2P files. For this purpose, you require features such as IP leak prevention, a kill switch, and optimized peer-to-peer servers in your US VPN.
Best VPNs for the USA
The US might be a democratic country that values its citizens’ political rights; however, it shows a complete disregard for its citizens’ online privacy, a fundamental human right. To eradicate all sorts of barriers from your online world and to gain control of your right to access worldwide content without surveillance, you need assistance from a VPN. Following are some of the best VPNs that will help you unblock content while maintaining online anonymity:
CyberGhost VPN is known for providing ironclad security to its users, precisely the kind of security required considering the US censorship and surveillance laws. Some of its features are as follows:
- Jurisdiction- CyberGhost is based in Romania, a jurisdiction that opposes data retention on internet users.
- Encryption- CyberGhost VPN is encrypted with 256-bit AES encryption and allows protection from DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC leaks.
- Servers in the US- CyberGhost VPN consists of 1,145 US servers within 11 US cities.
- Logging policy- With a clear no-logs policy, CyberGhost VPN never stores or misuses private user data. However, it doesn’t have a log audit report to back its claims.
- Torrenting- CyberGhost VPN is an excellent option for those who want more anonymity when downloading torrents in the US. Its speed and security will appeal to both beginner and experienced users who are looking to download torrents.
- Streaming- CyberGhost VPN allows access to US streaming sites like Netflix, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, and Disney+ at high speeds.
- Speed- Upon testing on a local 100Mbps internet connection, it succeeded in delivering downloading speeds of about 84.86Mbps on a New York server.
- Simultaneous connections- CyberGhost VPN allows you to establish seven connections at the same time.
CyberGhost VPN consists of the Perfect Forward Secrecy (PFS) feature that enables you to produce a unique encryption key after every hour. It is available for $2.25 per month on its yearly plan.
NordVPN is known for ensuring one of the fastest and most stable internet connections in the US. It also allows you to access several restricted streaming websites in the US. You may pick the best VPN server for your location in the US using NordVPN’s sophisticated technology.
Some of its features that make it a reliable US VPN are as follows:
- Jurisdiction- NordVPN is based in Panama jurisdiction and doesn’t assist government agencies or law enforcement authorities.
- Servers in the US- It consists of more than 1970 servers in the US within 15 different locations.
- Encryption- NordVPN provides double data encryption, in which your connection is routed via two different VPN servers.
- Simultaneous connections- NordVPN allows up to 6 simultaneous connections through which you can keep your family protected on the internet as well.
- Logging policy- It also has a “no logs” policy, making it a secure and user-friendly option. It has also conducted a log audit, and the report seems to be reasonably safe.
- Torrenting- Torrenting is made possible in the US by NordVPN’s specialized P2P servers, which ensure a quick and uninterrupted torrenting experience.
- Streaming- NordVPN unblocks geo-restricted media on US streaming sites such as Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon and helps you stream without lags. It is an ideal option for unlocking British content in the US.
- Speed- Upon testing on a local 100Mbps internet connection, it succeeded in providing download speeds of about 87Mbps on a New York server.
NordVPN also consists of a Double VPN feature that changes your IP address twice so that you remain anonymous over the internet. It is available for $4.92 per month on the 1-year plan.
ExpressVPN is a reliable option for US citizens because of its high security and extensive server network. Users generally prioritize ExpressVPN for safe and secure browsing in the US due to the following features:
- Jurisdiction- Established in the British Virgin Islands, ExpressVPN is an extraordinary offshore jurisdiction. There are no government-run surveillance networks involved with it.
- Servers in the US- ExpressVPN has servers located in about 14 cities across ten states in the US.
- Encryption- It uses 256-bit AES encryption to protect your online activities from ISP throttling and surveillance.
- Logging policy– It has an outstanding zero-logs policy, which means they do not store activity nor connection data. They have also conducted a log-audit which verifies their claims.
- Torrenting- ExpressVPN is the most reliable network for torrenting in the US. Its rapid download speeds, broad peer-to-peer compatibility, and strong encryption level make it an excellent choice for downloading torrents in complete safety.
- Streaming- It offers several unblocked streaming sites in the US, such as Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Sky TV, UKTV, Channel4, etc.
- Speed- Upon testing on a local 100Mbps internet connection, it succeeded in providing download speeds of about 81Mbps on a New York server.
- Simultaneous connection- ExpressVPN allows up to five simultaneous connections for ease of access.
ExpressVPN incorporates a unique technology called TrustedServer that ensures your internet data is stored in RAM and never on a hard drive. Hence, making it impossible for US officials to access your data. It is available for $6.67 per month on a 15-month plan.
Despite being a newbie on the VPN market, SurfShark VPN has quickly established itself as a top choice among US users. The reason is due to its consistently high performance and unmatched affordability. Some of its premium features are as follows:
- Jurisdiction- Like ExpressVPN, SurfShark VPN is also based in the British Virgin Islands, an exceptional offshore jurisdiction.
- Servers in the US- SurfShark VPN possesses more than 600 US servers in 23+ US cities, offering a wide range of server networks.
- Encryption- SurfShark VPN utilizes AES-256 encryption, the world’s strongest cipher. Despite its comparatively short operating period, SurfShark is still never invaded or hacked.
- Logging policy- SurfShark VPN possesses a strict “no log” policy which ensures anonymity. It conducted a log audit through an individual organization, and the final report matched its claims.
- Streaming- It possesses a powerful capability of unblocking US streaming sites such as Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and ITV Hub.
- Torrenting- SurfShark VPN is a torrent-friendly VPN with its fast bandwidth, numerous peer-to-peer servers, and extraordinary security measures that cater to US users.
- Speed- Upon testing on a local 100Mbps internet connection, it succeeded in providing downloading speeds of about 94.39Mbps along with uploading speeds of about 90.63Mbps on a US server.
- Simultaneous connections- SurfShark is among the few VPN services that permit an unlimited number of simultaneous connections.
SurfShark VPN also allows you to remain free of ads, trackers, malware, and phishing attempts, making your browsing experience more enjoyable. It is available at $3.33 per month on its yearly plan.
VyprVPN is a prominent name in terms of privacy and anonymity, especially for US users. It prevents US marketers from monitoring your online activities and gathering your personal information.
Some of its features are as follows:
- Jurisdiction- VyprVPN is based in Switzerland, which is not a part of the European Union and is not a member of the 5, 9, and 14 eyes alliance. Hence, VyprVPN is not obliged to disclose its users’ data to third parties.
- Encryption- VyprVPN employs military-grade AES 256-bit encryption, 2048-bit RSA cryptosystem, and SHA256 authentication to protect users’ data.
- Servers in the US- Although VyprVPN doesn’t possess a vast server network, it can function effectively in the regions where it operates. It contains around 17 US servers in multiple cities around the US.
- Logging policy- VyprVPN adheres to a rigorous no-logging policy, evidenced by its log audit report conducted by an authorized auditing organization.
- Torrenting- VyprVPN doesn’t make any distinctions between various types of data transmission. Hence, you will not face ISP throttling or any limitations while using the service for torrenting in the US.
- Streaming- VyprVPN is an excellent choice for streaming on various platforms and unblocks services such as Netflix, Disney, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, YouTube, and Amazon Prime.
- Speed- Upon testing on a local 100Mbps internet connection, it succeeded in providing downloading speeds of about 95.84Mbps along with uploading speeds of approximately 85.84 Mbps on a US server.
- Simultaneous connections- VyprVPN allows up to 5 simultaneous connections on a single account.
Moreover, using VyprVPN Cloud, you can easily gain an additional degree of protection while visiting your cloud servers. It is available at $2.50 per month on its 18-month plan.
How do I get a US VPN?
Getting a VPN in the US is a relatively easy and quick process. Firstly you need to pick a reliable US VPN provider such as the ones stated above and purchase its subscription through its website. Most US VPN apps are also available on different App Stores, so you can download them directly and pay for your subscription. Once the download is complete, then:
- You need to install the VPN software on your device.
- A dialog box may pop up asking for permission to let the VPN access or modify your settings. Click accept and install.
- Next, you need to enter your login credentials.
- Click on the Connect button on your VPN application to start its operation.
From that point forward, your device and online activity will remain secured until you turn the VPN connection off.
How can I get a free US VPN?
While a free VPN does provide some level of encryption and anonymity, it will most certainly fall short when it comes to protecting against US surveillance and censorship. Free US VPNs are also typically lacking in a few key areas that you can not and should not ignore. For instance:
- Free US VPNs pose a severe threat with their data gathering and harmful advertising.
- Most free US VPN services restrict the amount of bandwidth that you can use on their accounts. Due to the limited bandwidth available, you will only be able to view a handful of media.
- Since free VPNs don’t depend on subscriptions as earnings, their business model may rely on selling your information.
- Free US VPN services possess a limited server network. Most of them only have around 3 to 5 servers, which is insufficient.
- Moreover, the fewer servers, the more latency issues a free US VPN possesses, causing your videos to lag amid streaming.
Despite these issues, several free US VPNs promise sufficient protection. You might want to test those free services through a trial period first before subscribing to them.
Is VPN USA safe?
VPNs are online security and anonymity tools, and while the US might have strict data retention laws, VPNs are not illegal in the US. Therefore, it is perfectly safe and legal to use a VPN in the US. A VPN for the USA allows users to remain safe on the internet by encrypting their data to ensure privacy and hiding their IP addresses to protect their online identity. However, the best VPN for the US will ensure privacy and security and help bypass geo-censorship and provide fast speeds in torrenting, streaming, and gaming.
A US VPN is your only ray of hope to overcome the stringent barrier of US laws and regulations. You are free to access the limitless bounties of the online world once you are subscribed to any of the reliable US VPNs mentioned above. A reliable US VPN is a package of entertainment, safety, privacy, and ease of access and will allow you to stay afloat within the onslaught of privacy threats.