A VPN or a Virtual Private Network is an online security and anonymity tool that helps maintain digital privacy. However, its use goes beyond that since it helps mitigate geo-restrictions, download torrents, and stream US Netflix.
But with several VPN services available in the market, how to find the best secure VPN that provides exceptional security level? The internet is full of affiliate reviews, and searching through Reddit and Quora is too much of a hassle!
Also, searching for the best VPN doesn’t stop at jurisdiction and encryption protocols. One has to look beyond the surface and dive deep into VPN owners and the brand’s history. Therefore, to save you from all this hassle, we have compiled this article after scrutinising a plethora of VPN providers. Read along to find the one suitable for your needs! But before getting into many details, here’s a brief overview of the most secure VPNs.
6 Best Most Secure VPN Services That You Can Trust
45-day money-back guarantee
2 Months FREE
Secure up to 7 devices
30-day money-back guarantee
Best For Streaming
Secure up to 6 devices
30-day money-back guarantee
30-day money-back guarantee
4096-bit DH key
Secure up to 5 devices
30-day money-back guarantee
Highest VPN speed
Secure up to 10 devices
As mentioned above, several VPNs are available in the market, but not all are worth using. After testing and reviewing different VPNs in different areas, here are the five best, most secure VPNs that you should use to boost your online security. So, let’s jump into this.
CyberGhost is another best, most secure VPNs popular among users for its various competitive and supportive features.
The VPN provider has its headquarters in Romania which is not part of the global surveillance alliance. Thus, you don’t have to worry about your data being shared with other countries.
While CyberGhost is a highly-regarded VPN provider with many features that promote security and privacy, it’s difficult to claim that any provider is definitive “the most secure and private”. However, here are some of the factors that make CyberGhost a strong choice for users seeking a secure and private VPN:
- No-Logging Policy: CyberGhost has a strict no-logging policy, which means that they do not collect or store any information about user activity or personal data.
- Strong Encryption: CyberGhost uses AES-256 encryption, which is considered to be one of the strongest encryption protocols available.
- Kill Switch: CyberGhost offers a kill switch feature that automatically disconnects the user from the internet if the VPN connection drops, protecting user data from being exposed if the VPN connection fails.
- Trusted Jurisdiction: CyberGhost is based in Romania, which is outside the jurisdiction of the 14 Eyes surveillance alliance and has strong privacy protections.
- Ad and Tracker Blocking: CyberGhost’s features include ad and tracker blocking, which helps to protect user privacy and security by preventing third-party tracking and potential malware infections.
- Third-Party Audits: CyberGhost undergoes regular security audits by independent third-party organizations to ensure that their practices meet industry standards for security and privacy.
Overall, CyberGhost’s commitment to privacy and security, combined with advanced features and a user-friendly interface, makes it a strong choice for users seeking a secure and private VPN. However, as with any VPN provider, users should do their own research and choose a provider that meets their specific needs and preferences.
NordVPN is an outstanding VPN that delivers excellent security and online protection to users. The service provider belongs to the safe jurisdiction of Panama that falls outside the jurisdiction of the five eyes, nine eyes, and 14 eyes alliance. Also, the country doesn’t follow any mandatory data retention laws so, there is no need to worry about your data being recorded or shared with the intelligence agencies of other countries.
NordVPN is considered one of the most secure and private VPN service providers due to several factors, including:
- No-Logging Policy: NordVPN has a strict no-logging policy, which means they do not store any user data or activity logs.
- Strong Encryption: NordVPN uses AES-256 encryption, which is considered one of the strongest encryption protocols available.
- Double VPN and Onion Over VPN: NordVPN offers advanced security features such as double VPN and Onion Over VPN, which provide additional layers of encryption and privacy.
- CyberSec: NordVPN’s CyberSec feature blocks websites known for hosting malware, phishing scams, and other threats, providing an additional layer of security.
- Trusted Jurisdiction: NordVPN is based in Panama, which has no mandatory data retention laws and is not a member of any surveillance alliances.
- Third-Party Audits: NordVPN undergoes regular independent security audits by reputable third-party organizations, providing additional reassurance of their commitment to privacy and security.
Overall, NordVPN’s strong focus on user privacy and security, combined with advanced features and a commitment to transparency, makes it one of the most secure and private VPN service providers available.
When it comes to providing the top-most level of security, no other VPN can beat the unmatchable performance of ExpressVPN. The British-Virgin Island-based ExpressVPN comes with various impressive security-boosting that caters to all your security and protection needs. The VPN ensures that none of your sensitive information like the IP address or DNS requests is revealed to the privacy invaders by protecting against multiple kinds of VPN leaks.
ExpressVPN is considered one of the most secure and private VPN service providers due to several reasons:
- Strong Encryption: ExpressVPN uses AES-256 encryption, which is the same encryption standard used by many government agencies and militaries around the world. This encryption ensures that your data is secure and protected from hackers or other prying eyes.
- No-Logs Policy: ExpressVPN has a strict no-logs policy, meaning they do not collect any data about your online activities, including your browsing history, search queries, or metadata. This makes it almost impossible for anyone to track your online activities.
- TrustedServer Technology: ExpressVPN uses TrustedServer technology, which is a unique server architecture that runs only on volatile memory (RAM) and never on hard drives. This ensures that no data is stored on the servers, making them highly secure.
- DNS Leak Protection: ExpressVPN uses DNS leak protection, which prevents your DNS requests from being leaked to your ISP or other third-party services.
- Kill Switch: ExpressVPN has a kill switch feature that automatically disconnects your internet connection if the VPN connection drops. This prevents any of your data from being exposed to the internet without protection.
- Large Server Network: ExpressVPN has a large server network of over 3,000 servers in 94 countries. This allows users to connect to a server in a different location and access content that might be blocked in their country.
Overall, ExpressVPN’s strong encryption, no-logs policy, TrustedServer technology, DNS leak protection, kill switch, and large server network make it one of the most secure and private VPN service providers available.
Surfshark VPN is an award-winning VPN provider that was founded in 2018 in the British Virgin-Island region. The country has no strict internet or data retention laws, so it is safe to host a VPN company.
Surfshark is considered to be one of the most secure and private VPN service providers for several reasons:
- Strong encryption: Surfshark uses industry-standard AES-256 encryption to protect your online activity. This encryption is virtually unbreakable and ensures that your data is secure.
- No-logs policy: Surfshark has a strict no-logs policy, which means they don’t keep any records of your online activity. This ensures that your privacy is protected, and your data is not compromised.
- Multi-hop feature: Surfshark’s MultiHop feature allows you to connect to multiple servers, adding an extra layer of security to your online activity. This means that even if one server is compromised, your data remains secure.
- CleanWeb feature: Surfshark’s CleanWeb feature blocks ads, trackers, malware, and phishing attempts, ensuring that your online activity is safe and secure.
- Kill switch: Surfshark’s kill switch feature automatically cuts off your internet connection if your VPN connection drops, preventing your data from being exposed.
- Camouflage mode: Surfshark’s Camouflage mode makes your VPN traffic look like regular internet traffic, preventing your ISP from detecting that you are using a VPN.
Overall, Surfshark’s commitment to privacy and security, combined with its advanced features, make it one of the most secure and private VPN service providers available.
The last best secure VPN on our list is VyprVPN that has improved its services in the past few years. It is now considered a reliable VPN provider that ensures maximum online protection.
VyprVPN is considered one of the most secure and private VPN service providers due to several factors, including:
- No-Log Policy: VyprVPN has a strict no-log policy, which means they do not collect or store any user data or online activity, ensuring complete privacy and anonymity.
- Proprietary Technology: VyprVPN has developed their proprietary technology, Chameleon, which uses advanced encryption to mask VPN traffic and bypass VPN blocking, making it more secure and private.
- Strong Encryption: VyprVPN uses 256-bit AES encryption to protect user data and keep it secure from prying eyes.
- Multiple Security Protocols: VyprVPN offers a variety of security protocols, including OpenVPN, L2TP/IPSec, and IKEv2, to ensure maximum security and privacy.
- DNS Protection: VyprVPN also offers DNS protection, ensuring that user DNS requests are secure and private.
- Third-Party Audits: VyprVPN has undergone independent security audits to validate the effectiveness of its security measures and ensure that it remains a trustworthy and reliable VPN service.
Overall, VyprVPN’s commitment to privacy and security, combined with its proprietary technology and strong encryption, makes it a top choice for anyone looking for a secure and private VPN service provider.
Past History Of VPNs That You Can Not Trust
Unfortunately, some VPN providers have been involved in leaking user data in the past. Here are some examples:
- PureVPN: In 2017, PureVPN was involved in a case where the FBI was able to obtain user data from their servers. The incident involved a user who was using PureVPN’s service to access a website that was later found to be involved in cyberstalking. PureVPN was criticized for their lack of transparency and for not disclosing the incident to their users.
- HideMyAss: In 2011, HideMyAss was involved in a case where they provided user data to law enforcement authorities, which led to the arrest of a hacker. The incident raised concerns about the trustworthiness of VPN providers and their ability to protect user privacy.
- Hotspot Shield: In 2017, Hotspot Shield was found to be collecting user data and sharing it with advertisers. The incident led to a complaint being filed with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) alleging that the company was engaging in deceptive trade practices.
- Hola VPN: In 2015, Hola VPN was found to be selling user bandwidth to third-party entities, which could be used for malicious purposes. The incident raised concerns about the security of VPN providers and their ability to protect user privacy.
How to Choose the Most Secure VPN Provider?
Although there are several benefits that a VPN offers to the user, the most fundamental purpose of a VPN is to maintain your online security. If a VPN fails to provide maximum online protection, it obliterates the entire purpose of using a VPN.
To select the best secure VPN providers, you should look out for the security-enhancing features in a VPN. Here are the criteria used to test the VPNs:
- Strong Encryption: The VPN provider should use strong encryption protocols such as AES-256 to protect user data while it is in transit.
- No-Logging Policy: The VPN provider should have a strict no-logging policy, meaning that they do not collect or store any information about user activity or personal information.
- Kill Switch: The VPN provider should have a kill switch feature that will automatically disconnect the user from the internet if the VPN connection drops. This will prevent any sensitive information from being exposed if the VPN connection fails.
- Trusted Jurisdiction: The VPN provider should be based in a country with strong privacy laws and protections for user data.
- Independent Audits: The VPN provider should have its security and privacy practices audited by a reputable third-party organization to ensure that they are following best practices.
To choose the most secure VPN provider, it’s important to do your research and look for providers that meet the above criteria. It’s also a good idea to read reviews and check independent sources to ensure that the provider has a good reputation for privacy and security. Finally, it’s important to choose a provider that meets your specific needs, such as a provider that offers servers in the countries you need to access, or one that supports the devices and platforms you use.
Why Do You Need Secure VPNs?
Using a VPN has become the need of the hour. According to the Global Web Index, nearly three-quarters of internet users around the globe use a VPN. There are various benefits that a VPN offers, some of which are as follows:
- P2P file-sharing is illegal in many countries. The best VPN for torrenting protects your identity and offers torrent-friendly features that ensure a safe and secure torrenting experience.
- VPN offers unlimited bandwidth and comes with an extensive server network that ensures a fast connection and helps in preventing ISP throttling issues.
- The best VPN can unblock services like Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime, and Hulu, regardless of your physical location.
- If you’re a game lover and want to download games from other countries like Japan, the best VPN for PS4 can help you with no speed throttling issues.
- Using unsecured WiFi might risk your online security. A VPN uses solid encryption that makes your data inaccessible to hackers.
- A VPN hides your actual IP address by replacing it with the one provided by the VPN server and thus makes you utterly anonymous over the web.
- You can even use a VPN to fight against intrusive pop-up ads that might contain viruses, malware, and spyware and aim to infect your device.
These are the reasons for using a VPN so, choose a VPN that matches your needs and enjoy the perks it offers.
Which VPN Protocol should we use for better privacy?
When it comes to VPN protocols, there are several options available, each with its own strengths and weaknesses. However, some VPN protocols are more secure than others and offer better privacy protection.
Currently, the OpenVPN protocol is widely considered to be the most secure VPN protocol for privacy. It uses a combination of SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) and TLS (Transport Layer Security) protocols to encrypt data and provide strong security. OpenVPN also supports a variety of encryption algorithms, including AES, which is considered one of the most secure encryption standards available.
Other VPN protocols such as IKEv2/IPSec, L2TP/IPSec, and WireGuard also offer good security and privacy features. However, it is important to note that no VPN protocol is 100% secure or private, and each has its own vulnerabilities.
Ultimately, the best VPN protocol for privacy depends on your specific needs and use case. It’s recommended to do some research and choose a VPN provider that offers multiple protocol options, so you can choose the one that best fits your needs.
Which VPN Protocol is used for torrenting which is secure and fastest
When it comes to torrenting, the most important factors to consider in a VPN protocol are speed and security. Several VPN protocols can be used for torrenting, but the two most popular ones are OpenVPN and WireGuard.
OpenVPN is considered to be the best and most secure protocol for VPN connections. It uses OpenSSL encryption to create a secure connection between your device and the VPN server. It can operate on both UDP and TCP protocols, and it can also use various ciphers for encryption.
WireGuard is a newer protocol that has gained popularity in recent years because of its speed and simplicity. It uses modern cryptographic techniques to provide secure connections and is designed to be fast and efficient. It also uses fewer lines of code than other protocols, making it easier to audit for security vulnerabilities.
In terms of speed and security, both OpenVPN and WireGuard are good options for torrenting. However, it’s worth noting that other factors such as server location, server load, and your own internet connection, can also affect your VPN speed. It’s always a good idea to choose a VPN provider that has a good reputation for speed and security and to test different VPN protocols to see which one works best for your needs.
Most Secure VPN Location or Countries For Best Data Privacy
The best location to connect to a VPN for the most secure data protection depends on your individual needs and circumstances. Generally speaking, you should look for a location with strong privacy laws and robust data protection regulations.
Some countries that are commonly considered good locations to connect to a VPN for security and privacy include:
- Switzerland: Switzerland has strong privacy laws, and it is not a member of the Five Eyes, Nine Eyes, or Fourteen Eyes intelligence alliances.
- Iceland: Iceland has strict data protection laws and is not a member of any intelligence alliances.
- Romania: Romania has strong data protection laws and is not a member of any intelligence alliances.
- Netherlands: The Netherlands has strong privacy laws and is home to many VPN providers, which can make it a good location to connect to a VPN server.
- Singapore: Singapore has strong privacy laws and is known for its high level of cybersecurity.
Ultimately, the best location for you to connect to a VPN will depend on your specific needs and priorities.
Here’s some more information that you should know about VPNs.
All VPN supports encryption protocols that transfer encrypted data. There are six notable VPN encryption protocols. Among all, using the OpenVPN protocol is the best option to use when it comes to boosting your online security. It is an open-sourced protocol that uses OpenSSL libraries and TLS protocol. It runs on the UDP port, but it runs on TCP port 443. Moreover, it uses several other encryption algorithms, such as AES and Blowfish, which stand out among other protocols.
All the VPNs mentioned above are the best secure VPN. You can choose among them as per your need and budget. These VPNs provide a range of security-enhancing features that guarantees a top-notch level of online security. They offer protection against IP leaks and military-grade encryption to safeguard your data traffic.
The free VPNs are full of security flaws and vulnerabilities, and thus, they are not reliable or recommended to use. These VPNs fail to provide the desired encryption standard and even lack the essential security and privacy-boosting features. Most of them don’t follow the zero-log policy and work as data collecting agents.
They record and share your data with third parties and thus generate revenue through it. Moreover, being free in nature also increases the risk of getting affected by malware or other potential threats. Therefore, instead of using a free VPN, always invest in a premium VPN provider.
When it comes to enhancing security, no other method is better than using a VPN. A VPN is a versatile tool that not just maintains your online privacy or security but also provides additional benefits. But, the primary purpose of using a VPN is to enhance your online security.
The VPNs mentioned above are the best to fulfill your security needs. Choose as per your needs and enjoy surfing the web with the most top-notch level of protection.