Consider Apple’s iPad as that one diligent student that strives to work hard and reminds the teacher of the homework given the day before. But the other students dislike him because since he puts in constant effort, it makes their slacking off noticeable. Similar is the case with Apple’s iPad as it remains a target for cybercriminals and competitor software throughout. However, a VPN connection will help you evade all the darts thrown at you and make all their efforts go in vain.
All you have to do is make sure that you’re choosing a reliable VPN companion and not a wolf in sheep’s clothing since you’ll come across more unreliable iPad VPNs than secure ones. To help you carry out this task, here is a quick go-through of the reliable iPad VPN connections and their privacy features.
List Of Best VPNs For iPad In 2022
CyberGhost: 7000+ optimized servers enhance your gaming, streaming, and torrenting experience. Plus, bypass ISP throttling. Compatible with Mac, Windows, iPhone, and Android.
NordVPN: comes with 5000+ servers, great speed while torrenting and gaming. You can also enjoy US Netflix From abroad. Compatible with all devices and OS.
SurfShark: With 3200+ server networks bypass throttling and download and stream unlimitedly. You can access Netflix and download torrents with privacy.
ProtonVPN provides robust digital security and allows unlimited streaming and torrenting. Enjoy a fast, stable, and reliable internet connection from anywhere and bypass ISP throttling.
Whether it’s ISP throttling, latency, or lower ping times that annoy you, you can enjoy ExpressVPN’s stable and fastest connection. Also, provide support with Netflix and Torrenting.
VyprVPN uses a proprietary Chameleon protocol that helps access the blocked torrent websites and streaming platforms. The speeds are reliable which prevents ISP throttling.
Only the best security tools would suit the best software, i.e., iOS. And that’s when a VPN comes into the picture to employ within an iPad.
How to Choose the Best VPN for iPad?
You might have heard the phrase “little drops make the mighty ocean.” Similarly, a VPN takes simple features that might not be of much importance as a standalone function, then turns them into an advanced security tool that has the ability to battle against all sorts of privacy threats. Some of the features that you need to stay on the lookout for if you want to enhance your iPad’s functionality are as follows:
- Fast speed- You need to ensure that your iPad VPN brings along lightning-fast speed and unlimited bandwidth to eliminate latency issues.
- Enhanced security- For your iPad VPN to be considered secure, it must use end-to-end AES-256 bit encryption and should comply with a strict no-logs policy along with an automatic kill switch and DNS leak protection.
- Bypass geographical restrictions- Your iPad VPN must be able to hide and change your IP address to unblock restricted sites and platforms, such as Netflix US, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, etc.
- Simultaneous connections- As the saying goes, “the more, the merrier.” Hence, you need to employ an iPad VPN that offers more than at least five simultaneous connections.
- Dedicated app– What’s better than a secure iPad VPN connection? The said iPad VPN connection being relatively easy to install. For a worthwhile browsing experience, ensure that your iPad VPN consists of a dedicated app that you can integrate within your iPad apps.
With putting these features into consideration, you can choose a reliable iPad VPN to ensure a safe and unrestricted internet connection.
What is the Best VPN for an iPad?
Now that you know the required criteria of the best iPad VPN, you are free to do your research and come up with your preferred choice. But if you want to save yourself from the hassle, here’s a list of tried and tested VPNs that are bound to work well with your iPad and enhance your online experience.
1- CyberGhost VPN
CyberGhost VPN contradicts the statement “you get what you pay for” since it offers you a plethora of features even when you’re on a tight budget. There are no loopholes in CyberGhost’s security which can be demonstrated by the following security features in iPads:
- AES 256-bit cipher
- iOS compatible protocols including OpenVPN, IKEv2, and WireGuard
- A safe jurisdiction within Bucharest, Romania
- Strict no-logs policy along with consistent transparency reports
- Instant kill switch along with DNS and IP leak protection
Along with its security features, CyberGhost VPN is also ideal for its entertainment features in iPads, such as:
- Server filters that facilitate streaming and torrenting
- bypass geo-restrictions from several platforms, including Netflix, Disney+, BBC iPlayer, HBO Max, Spotify, ESPN, etc.
- 90 Mbps speed when connected to a local 100 Mbps network
Almost all iOS devices operating with v13.0 or later are compatible with CyberGhost VPN. You can also use multiple iPads with CyberGhost VPN since it allows you to establish up to seven simultaneous connections.
When it comes to providing iPad users with an all-in-one VPN service, NordVPN takes the lead due to its efficiency in combining security and entertainment. Its specialty servers are a prime example of this combination since they can bypass geo-restrictions while also providing unmatched encryption.
NordVPN offers exceptional privacy and security features for iPads, such as:
- 256-bit AES encryption
- iOS compatible protocols including IKEv2, OpenVPN (UDP/TCP), and NordLynx
- A secure jurisdiction within Panama
- Iron-clad log policy that is backed by a log audit report
- Double VPN feature that offers double encryption and dual server data routing
Apart from privacy and security, when it comes to entertainment, NordVPN also poses a strong front due to the following features in an iPad:
- Unblocking streaming platforms such as Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, Spotify, etc.
- Special P2P servers for secure torrenting.
- 92Mbps speed when connected to a local 100Mbps network.
Almost all iOS devices operating with v11.0 or later are compatible with NordVPN. Furthermore, NordVPN enables you to connect up to six devices with a single account; hence, enabling you to share your connection with your family and friends conveniently.
3 -Surfshark VPN
A number of security and entertainment options are available in Surfshark VPN, allowing you to experience the best of both worlds. Surfshark VPN also possesses features such as Bypasser and CleanWeb that allow you to customize your online experience on your iPad.
Some of the security features that make Surfshark VPN a preferred voice for iPads users include:
- AES 256-bit encryption
- A safe jurisdiction within the British Virgin Islands
- Multi-Hop function for encrypting and routing your data twice
- A rigorous no-logging policy backed up by a log audit report
- iOS compatible protocols including Shadowsocks, OpenVPN, IKEv2/IPsec, and WireGuard
- Camouflage Mode
Similarly, Surfshark VPN soars in providing entertainment-related features such as:
- Numerous dedicated P2P servers
- Unblock several geo-restricted platforms such as Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, ITV Hub, etc
- 94Mbps when connected to a local 100 Mbps network
- NoBorders mode
Surfshark VPN is compatible with iPads having 64-bit architecture, including versions 10.3.3 and later. Furthermore, Surfshark VPN is an absolute treat when it comes to establishing a shared VPN connection since it offers you unlimited simultaneous connections along with unrestricted bandwidth.
4 – ProtonVPN
ProtonVPN is amongst one of the few VPNs that work exceptionally well with an iPad. The VPN allows users to enjoy a secure and anonymous online experience and helps mitigate various online privacy issues through features such as:
- AES-256 bit encryption
- Secure iOS compatible encryption protocols such as OpenVPN, IKEv2, and WireGuard
- A secure Swiss jurisdiction
- It follows a relatively strict no-logs policy with independent audits of every app.
- DNS and IPv6 leak protection
However, privacy and security are not the only things ProtonVPN can help you achieve with your iPad. When it comes to entertainment, the VPN has a lot to offer to its users through the following features:
- Unrestricted and secure streaming on various platforms such as Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, BBC iPlayer, etc.
- Dedicated adblocker called Netshield to prevent annoying ad-pop-ups during online browsing.
- VPN accelerator feature that increases your VPN speeds by over 400%, allowing super-fast streaming, downloading, and browsing.
Setting up ProtonVPN is relatively easy for your iPad, and you can do it either through the website or the Apple Store. Moreover, you can set up a widget by downloading the app through the VPN’s various options.
ExpressVPN is one of the very few iPad VPNs that will provide you with your money’s worth. In most instances, you might even feel that you caught a long-term bargain. No other VPN matches its ease of access and security since it has the most straightforward and well-equipped user interface and also rotates IP addresses on a daily basis.
ExpressVPN is an ideal choice when it comes to privacy and security features for iPads, such as:
- Military-grade 256-bit encryption
- iOS compatible protocols including Lightway, OpenVPN, L2TP/IPsec, IKEv2, PPTP, SSTP, and WireGuard
- A secure jurisdiction within the British Virgin Islands
- A rigorous no-logging policy backed up by a log-audit report.
- Automated kill switch along with DNS and IP leak protection
ExpressVPN also excels in offering features that make it a reliable tool for entertainment in iPads, such as:
- RAM servers in 160 locations
- Unblocks streaming platforms such as Spotify, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, HBO Max, Hulu, etc.
- 91Mbps when connected to a local 100 Mbps network
- Broad P2P compatibility to facilitate torrenting
Almost all iOS devices operating with v11.0 or later are compatible with ExpressVPN. You can also benefit from ExpressVPN’s ability to provide five simultaneous connections which allow you the liberty to stream from multiple devices without any hindrance.
VyprVPN consists of an interactive map designed exclusively for the iPad, which allows you to search servers quickly, as well as view network ping rates. You can customize its app according to your ease of access; however, you can also connect it directly from your home screen.
VyprVPN remains unmatchable in terms of providing privacy and security to iPad users due to the following features:
- A safe jurisdiction within Switzerland
- Private server network and DNS servers
- iOS compatible VPN protocols including Chameleon, WireGuard, IPsec, and OpenVPN
- 256-bit SSL encryption
- A log-audit report that complies with its no-logs policy
Even though VyprVPN was not specifically designed for entertainment purposes, it offers a lot of features that facilitate streaming and torrenting on iPads, such as:
- Anonymous P2P file sharing
- unblock geo-restricted content on platforms such as Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, HBO Max, etc.
- 83 Mbps download speed when connected to a local 100 Mbps network.
Almost all iOS devices operating with v10.0 or later are compatible with VyprVPN. Along with its extended iOS compatibility, VyprVPN also allows up to five simultaneous connections.
Do I really Need a VPN on My iPad?
Most of the time, the device that you’re using isn’t a matter of consideration while selecting a VPN since all of the devices are exposed to online threats. However, it is critical to consider that Apple has been a target for several cybercriminal organizations and is constantly upgrading its privacy measures. Such circumstances make it necessary for you to employ a VPN connection on your iPad.
Without an iPad VPN, your internet access will be severely limited. If you want to perform the following actions, it is critical for you to install an iPad VPN:
- Secure your internet traffic via encryption to preserve your anonymity
- Use a location spoofing tool to gain access to geo-restricted sites or platforms
- Avoid online censorship in restricted areas
- Ensure that you don’t become a victim of government-imposed surveillance
Considering the following capabilities, a VPN becomes a necessity for your iPad.
What does an iPad VPN do?
The main question is, “what does an iPad VPN not do to eliminate your privacy concerns?” Consider an iPad VPN as your sole warrior in your combat against online censorship and malware attacks. Some of the functions for which you can utilize an iPad VPN are as follows:
- Circumvent online censorship and gain access to the internet even in countries with strict internet restrictions, such as China or Iran.
- Shield your browsing history and online activity from prying eyes such as your ISP, government, marketers, and surveillance organizations.
- Conceal your IP address from third parties to maintain anonymity online.
- Safeguard unsecured public WiFi connections against MITM attacks and malware threats by enforcing network security policies.
- Unblock streaming platforms and access geo-restricted content such as Netflix US or BBC iPlayer.
Besides these functionalities, several reliable iPad VPNs also provide you with unique features that surmount all hurdles that hinder your online experience.
Does my iPad have a built-in iOS VPN?
Apple understands the inherent need for a secure VPN connection and hence, enables iPad users to utilize its excellent built-in support for VPNs. Furthermore, it does allow you to manually set up security protocols, such as IKEv2/IPSec and L2TP/IPSec, through its VPN toggle included in the Settings app.
However, these are merely limited protocols and cannot stand against the enhanced security and performance features of a VPN.
Apple’s concern towards their users’ privacy is commendable and deserves to be appreciated, but it is still worthwhile to acquire an iPad VPN for an unmatched user experience.
Can I get a free iPad VPN?
It is unavoidable that you are drawn to free iPad VPNs. I mean, who wouldn’t want to get an easy way out of a daunting problem? But do you really think that you can get something worthwhile without having to put in your hard work and toil into it? As the saying goes, “you reap what you sow.” Hence, you need to make sure that you’re investing in your choice of VPN to bear its fruit.
Free VPNs might not be completely futile, but some of their features completely negate the purpose of a VPN. For instance:
- When compared to a premium iPad VPN, a free iPad VPN will most certainly provide minimum encryption and even worse protocols. As a result, your personal information and online activity are at an increased risk of being compromised.
- Several free iPad VPNs rely on invasive advertisements or even distribute confidential user information to data surveillance organizations or marketers for their own monetary gain.
- Generally, users are limited to only a single device VPN connection or a restricted bandwidth while using a free iPad VPN service.
As much as it’s a VPN’s job to secure your internet activity, you are also liable to contribute to your endeavor to achieve maximum anonymity online. Furthermore, iPads are also playing their role in enabling you to your right towards privacy. All you have to do is meet them halfway with your choice of a secure premium iPad VPN.
Is iCloud Private Relay on iPad the same as a VPN?
iCloud Private Relay undeniably plays a great role in sustaining your privacy online, but you may consider it more as a proxy service rather than a VPN. There are several features in which the iCloud Private Relay lacks that can be fulfilled by a VPN.
It is only compatible with the Safari web browser. As long as your online activity is limited within Safari, you can consider yourself protected from third parties. However, as soon as you leave its premises to access another app, you’re a target for all the hungry sharks (cybercriminals) lurking out there. But don’t you worry, since eliminating such boundaries is exactly what an iPad VPN strives to achieve.
It’s relatively slower in comparison to an iPad VPN. The iCloud Private Relay routes your data traffic across two independent servers before sending it off to your destination. Meanwhile, since most iPad VPNs utilize only one server, they are able to encrypt and process your data faster.
You will not be able to reconfigure your virtual location. The iCloud Private Relay service does not cater to your wish to access geo-restricted content. It only assigns you a single IP address that depicts the country you’re currently located in.
How to set up a VPN on an iPad?
Since iPads possess built-in support for VPNs, setting up an iPad VPN is a relatively simple and less time-consuming task. Your iPad VPN connection will be up and running in mere ten minutes by following the following steps:
- Start by subscribing to your preferred VPN service by navigating to its official website.
- Next, you can either download the VPN from the website or head to your App Store and search for the VPN.
- If your VPN has a dedicated app, then tap on “Get” to initiate its installation.
- Once your VPN application is installed, tap on its icon and enter your login credentials to complete the login process.
- Your iPad might lead you to a popup notification asking you to confirm whether you want to set up the VPN setup file. Click “Allow” and enter your password for verification.
These steps complete your iPad VPN installation. Now you can select your preferred protocols, servers and configure your settings to match your VPN requirements.
An iPad in itself is capable of offering you a slew of security features, but it is rather limited in its operations and cannot compete with a VPN’s diverse functionality. A combination of a VPN and an iPad, however, hits all the right spots and presents an overpowering system of security, entertainment, and ease of access. Consider this combination a user’s dream come true due to its application in all online activities.