Hulu is a popular streaming service with more than 39 million subscribers. The service has an extensive content library that includes movies, TV shows, documentaries from its media partners like HBO, CBS, NBC, and Hulu’s original content.
Unfortunately, Hulu is only available in Japan and the US. It means that you can’t watch content on Hulu outside the US and Japan due to geographical restrictions and licensing issues. The only way you can access Hulu from abroad is by using a VPN.
A VPN by spoofing your IP address and location allows you to watch your favorite content on Hulu from anywhere. Moreover, a VPN offers benefits that go beyond changing your location and IP address so, it’d make your streaming experience worth amazing.
However, Hulu blocks the VPN to prevent users from accessing the content. But that doesn’t mean that no VPN will work for Hulu. Some VPNs come with advanced features that bypass the firewalls imposed by Hulu and allow you to access its service. Keep reading and find out about the best VPN for Hulu.
Quick list Of VPNs That Works With Hulu (Tested)
The table below highlights some impressive features of the best VPN for Hulu. So, let’s have a look:
CyberGhost: 7000+ optimized servers enhance your gaming, streaming, and torrenting experience. Plus, bypass ISP throttling. Compatible with Mac, Windows, iPhone, and Android.
NordVPN: comes with 5000+ servers, great speed while torrenting and gaming. You can also enjoy US Netflix From abroad. Compatible with all devices and OS.
SurfShark: With 3200+ server networks bypass throttling and download and stream unlimitedly. You can access Netflix and download torrents with privacy.
ProtonVPN provides robust digital security and allows unlimited streaming and torrenting. Enjoy a fast, stable, and reliable internet connection from anywhere and bypass ISP throttling.
Whether it’s ISP throttling, latency, or lower ping times that annoy you, you can enjoy ExpressVPN’s stable and fastest connection. Also, provide support with Netflix and Torrenting.
VyprVPN uses a proprietary Chameleon protocol that helps access the blocked torrent websites and streaming platforms. The speeds are reliable which prevents ISP throttling.
Before reviewing the above-mentioned VPN providers in detail, first discuss the need for using a VPN for Hulu.
Why Hulu Blocks VPN Users?
It is not a hidden fact that streaming services like Hulu and Netflix block VPNs to stop users across the globe from accessing their services. The streaming service is only available in Japan and the US, and anyone outside these countries can’t access the content library. A proxy error pops up on the screen that says that the service isn’t available in your region even if they try.
But why does that happen? The main reason for Hulu blocking users is because of the copyright licensing issue. Under a strict contract agreement, it is bound to show the TV shows and movies in the specified countries. Hulu blocks VPNs by tracking their IP address. They use some detection technology that detects users with the same IP address, and VPNs assign users with a static IP address that thousands of other users share. The service prepares a list of such IP addresses and blocklists, and when anyone tries to access the service, they check the IP address and block it.
Moreover, many users even use a proxy server to change their IP address and access the Hulu platform. But the service again uses firewalls to detect such IP and blocks them from using their service. Fortunately, some reliable VPNs are capable of bypassing the firewalls and detection systems used by Hulu. By using such VPN providers, you can enjoy watching content on Hulu. Also, a VPN for Hulu might help you in the following scenarios:
- They ensure fast connection speed and help to circumvent ISP throttling.
- A VPN masks your IP address and ensures complete anonymity while you unblock the geo-blocked content.
- You can pick up any server of your choice and can get access to any Hulu library.
Just make sure that you pick up the right VPN.
Hulu VPN Research Methodology
Like Netflix, Hulu detects the VPN traffic and blocks its IP address, so; you can’t use any random VPN available in the market. The best VPN for Hulu should include special features that ensure hassle-free access to the content library. Here are a few tips that you should look at while researching for a VPN for Hulu:
When you connect to a VPN, it somehow slows down your internet speed. It happens because a VPN establishes a connection with the remote server and encrypts your data to bypass the geo-blocked restrictions. The speed reduction should be minimum and won’t make you wait for much to stream content on Hulu. Thus, ensure that you select a VPN with maximum fast connection speed. You can also run a speed test and decide if the VPN will make for Hulu or not.
As long as you need a VPN for Hulu, ensure that it doesn’t impose data caps or comes with limited bandwidth. Streaming consumes much of the bandwidth, and for this reason, your ISP might also throttle your connection on Hulu, which results in sluggish connections and continuous buffering while you watch your favorite TV show or movie. Thus, you should always consider using a VPN that offers unlimited bandwidth and allows an uninterrupted streaming experience on Hulu.
Device Connections and Compatibility
Always use a VPN that’s convenient to use on all popular devices and operating systems. Most reliable VPN providers are compatible with Android, Apple, Linux, Windows, routers, and even streaming devices. Ensure that the VPN you select offers compatibility with all these devices and allows you to stream content from Hulu on any chosen device. Also, the VPN should come with a maximum of five supported device connection features. In this way, other members of your family or friends can enjoy VPN benefits with a single subscription account.
The more servers a VPN offers, the easier it is to bypass the restriction imposed by Hulu. Also, an extensive server network takes less time to establish the VPN connection and improves your streaming speed. Watch out for a VPN that offers a vast server network, especially in Japan and the USA.
Do look out for features that ensure a smooth streaming experience. The best VPN for Hulu should come with DNS, IP leak protection, a kill switch, and a split tunneling feature that provides anonymity and online security while you access the streaming content. A Smart DNS feature is another vital feature that you should look for in a VPN for Hulu, and it allows you to access streaming content on smart TVs, routers, and other streaming devices.
If your VPN has all these features, you can enjoy complete access to Hulu content without anyone knowing it.
Best Six VPNs to Unblock Hulu
Finding a VPN that works best with Hulu is undoubtedly a challenging task as most VPNs, despite claiming, fail to bypass the geo-blocked restrictions while others don’t offer fast speed. Don’t worry if you can’t find one for yourself. The following six VPNs are tested and best for Hulu, so look at them and choose one.
CyberGhost is our first choice for accessing content on Hulu. Some of the benefits that CyberGhost offers are as follows:
- It comes with an extensive network of more than 7000 servers in 91 countries, having the majority of the coverage in the US and Japan.
- The VPN offers dedicated servers for streaming that ensures fast speed too.
- It offers unlimited bandwidth and reliable and consistent speed when tested, so; your streaming experience won’t be interrupted with buffering or lags.
- The VPN comes with NoSpy servers that guarantee faster connection and more anonymity on the web.
- It allows users to use a dedicated IP address and avoid VPN blocks.
You can download CyberGhost VPN on all major devices and OS and enjoy up to seven simultaneous connections.
ExpressVPN is the best streaming VPN that works with Hulu and other popular streaming devices like Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and HBO. Some of the fantastic benefits it offers includes:
- When you’re connected with ExpressVPN, speed is never an issue. It has global coverage in 94 countries and offers the fastest connection speed.
- The VPN is compatible with Android, iOS, macOS, Windows, routers, and other popular streaming devices. It means that you can watch Hulu content on any available device.
- It offers a Smart DNS feature that allows streaming the blocked Hulu content on Apple TV, Chromecast, and other devices.
- It uses Lightway protocol that promises a faster internet connection.
- The VPN provider comes with excellent features like a kill switch, split tunneling, and IP leak protection that enhances your security while streaming the blocked content.
Download ExpressVPN and enjoy up to five supported device connections.
NordVPN is another best choice to use for Hulu and other streaming platforms. Here are some impressive features that rank NordVPN as the best VPN for Hulu:
- The VPN provider offers ultra-fast streaming speed and allows users to watch their favorite content on Hulu in HD quality.
- It consists of more than 5200 servers in 60+ countries, resulting in quicker connection time and reducing latency and ping time.
- The VPN comes with a dedicated IP address feature that allows users to enjoy added anonymity and protection while watching Hulu content.
- It also uses the Smart DNS play feature to access the Hulu content on various streaming devices.
- NordVPN also maintains fast connection speed by using the NordLynx tunneling protocol built around the WireGuard technology.
The VPN is compatible with Android, Apple, Windows, and Linux devices and allows users to enjoy six simultaneous device connections.
ProtonVPN is yet another best VPN for Hulu, and here are the reasons:
- It offers Plus servers that work exceptionally well with streaming services, including Hulu. By connecting to any of these servers in the US and Japan, you can enjoy a fantastic streaming experience on Hulu.
- The VPN comes with unlimited bandwidth and offers a blazing-fast speed that is best for HD streaming and even helps bypass ISP throttling.
- It masks your IP address and prevents DNS leaks, and increases your online security.
- Using the alternate routing technology, you can use ProtonVPN to access Hulu in China and other restrictive countries.
- It offers a variety of features that maintains a top-notch level of online anonymity and protection.
The VPN operates on all major devices, including Android, Apple, and desktop platforms. With a single ProtonVPN account, you can connect to ten other devices.
5. SurfShark VPN
SurfShark VPN has been in the industry for quite some time, but still, it is ranked as the best VPN for Hulu. Here are the reasons for SurfShark being a reliable VPN to use on Hulu from anywhere:
- The VPN offers a Smart Play feature, and you can connect it with your streaming device and enjoy watching Hulu content.
- It is among the cheapest VPN providers that don’t cost you much and even offer a free trial period for Android and Apple users. The Windows users can enjoy the 30-days money-back guarantee offer.
- The VPN offers a Camouflage and No-borders mode that bypasses strict censorship and enjoys streaming on Hulu.
- It uses both OpenVPN and WireGuard protocol that ensures security and faster internet speed.
- It consists of 3200 servers in 65 countries and provides fast speed that won’t ruin your streaming experience.
The VPN operates on all popular devices and platforms and allows users to enjoy unlimited device connections with a single account.
VyprVPN is a reliable VPN used to unblock content from Hulu. Despite being a less popular VPN provider, it still is capable of being used as a streaming VPN, and here are the reasons:
- It uses Chameleon tunneling protocol that guarantees speedy connection. Other than this, the VPN also supports OpenVPN and WireGuard protocol.
- The VPN is constantly updating its servers for Hulu and making it easy for users to connect to them from anywhere.
- It is a private and reliable VPN provider to use. It offers advanced security and privacy-boosting features like DNS/IP leak protection, kill switch, split tunneling, and ad-blocker.
- The VPN providers offer specialized obfuscated servers that help bypass censorship in authoritarian regimes. By connecting to these servers, you can even unblock Hulu in China, UAE, and Russia.
You can download VyprVPN on Android, iOS, macOS, Windows, and other streaming devices and connect five devices with a single subscription account.
Which Best Free VPN Works Best for Hulu?
If you think you can save some of your money by using a free VPN for Hulu, you can’t because there isn’t any free VPN. Even if a free VPN doesn’t charge you a subscription fee, they still make money by some shady practices. A free VPN monitors your activities, keeps your data logs and IP address, and shares them with advertisers without your consent, and earns money in return. Also, they come with limited bandwidth and server network access so, there are high chances that the bandwidth ends before the month ends, or you would experience frequent connection lags and buffers throughout streaming.
These free VPN providers fail to hide your IP address and lack certain streaming features that can expose you. So, for a hassle-free streaming experience on Hulu, you should invest in the best cheap VPN provider or VPNs that come with a free trial period.
Where is Hulu Available?
Hulu offers two content libraries in Japan and the US. If you are accessing the streaming platform outside these countries, you need to use the best streaming VPN.
How Do I Use a VPN With Hulu?
The best VPN for Hulu is compatible with all major devices, platforms, and operating systems. If you’re looking for a VPN to use on Hulu so, here are the steps that you should follow:
- Select a VPN from the above-recommended list and subscribe to it.
- Download and install the VPN app on your device.
- Log in to your VPN account and choose a VPN server in Japan or the US.
- Tap and connect and wait for the connection to get established.
Once your VPN icon color is changed, open the Hulu site, log in to your account, and start watching your favorite content from anywhere.
For iPhone and iPad
If you’re an iOS user the VPN installation steps slightly differ. You need to make an Apple ID with a US address and then download the Hulu app from the Apple App Store. Once you’re done, follow the steps as mentioned below:
- Subscribe to the best VPN for Hulu and download it on your iOS device.
- Launch the VPN app and type your login credentials.
- Head to Settings > Click on Apple ID
- Tap on View Media and Purchased and Sign in.
- Scroll down and search for the Country and Region option > Change your location to the US.
- Go to the Apple App Store and download the Hulu app.
Once the download is finished, open the Hulu app and start streaming.
If you’re outside the US or Japan and want to watch content on Hulu, you need to download the Hulu app from the US Google Play Store. Here are the steps for doing so:
- Find a VPN for Hulu and download it on your device.
- Go to Settings > Google Play Store
- Click on Account > Add Another account > Enter a new Email ID.
- Again head to Google Play Store > Download and install the Hulu app.
- Sign in to your Hulu account and start streaming.
How to Fix Hulu Proxy Error?
Besides VPNs, another way to access Hulu is using proxy servers, but the service has banned proxies. If you come across a proxy error, nothing to worry about because it can be fixed. Here are the steps to fix Hulu proxy error on Windows 10 and macOS.
On Windows Platform
- Open the Run prompt > enter ncpa.cpl > Enter
- Go to Properties > Choose Networking Tab
- Untick the box next to TCP/IPv6.
- Tap on Ok.
- Go to Apple menu > System Preferences
- Network > Network Preferences
- Tap on Airport > Advanced > TCP/IP
- Configure IPv6 > Hit on Off
- Tap on OK
By applying changes, you’ll fix the proxy error.
If you’re outside the US or Japan then accessing Hulu is impossible. The only way to do it is to use a VPN. The above-mentioned VPNs work well with Hulu, so use any of them and enhance your streaming experience.