Sometimes, when you try to connect your gaming console to the internet, things don’t end well. Especially if you are getting bored at the campus and your console won’t connect to the network.
Usually, Campus Networks have Strict Network Address Translation (NAT) Settings, which means that they won’t allow connections for consoles such as PlayStation, Xbox, Nintendo, and many more.
What Is NAT?
Network Address Translation is popularly known as NAT. It is the remapping of an IP address to another. Like, your routers use Network Address Translation (NAT) to translate your public IP address into a private IP address or vice versa.
Due to the limitations of NAT by manufacturers, you may encounter complex issues while changing the NAT.
Types Of NAT (Explained)
In general, there are three settings for your NAT configuration, and they determine your experience over the internet.
Open NAT is considered a type without any restrictions. All the devices can send and receive all kinds of data over the internet without any firewall restrictions to control data packets’ flow.
The drawback for Open NAT is that it is vulnerable to hackers, as there is no firewall in place, and your IP address is visible to other users on the internet.
Furthermore, you will be able to connect to any of the three types of NAT (Open, Moderate, or Strict). Your multiplayer gaming servers search will take less time and ensure that you get minimal lag during your games.
Moderate NAT allows one or more ports to remain open while the other ports are restricted. The NAT acts as a firewall, allowing data packets from a selected group of applications.
Moderate NAT allows users to connect with other users who have Open or Moderate NAT type configured.
Multiplayer server searching takes some time, and there might be some in-game lags.
Strict NAT is the most secured NAT type. The data passing through the ports is severely restricted, the cause of which most of the services will face problems connecting to the internet.
Most routers come with Strict NAT as their default settings, and users can only connect with others who have an Open NAT type.
Multiplayer server searching will take quite a lot of time, and the admins might kick you from the servers frequently.
Methods To Change NAT Type on PC
IF you want to change your NAT type from “Strict” to “Open,” just follow the below-mentioned steps, and you will be able to play games without any connectivity issues.
Port Forwarding is one of the most common and the easiest type of configuration regarding your NAT type without going through additional hassles.
Follow these simple steps to forward your ports:
- Goto Portforward.com
- Select your router model.
- Select the game you are interested in, read the instructions carefully, and copy your game’s default ports.
- Visit your router’s homepage by accessing it via the default gateway IP address on a web browser.
- You will need to access it by entering the username and password (which can be found on the back of your router).
- On the router page, locate the port forwarding section. You might need to check for it under the advanced settings tab.
- On this page, you will need to set rules for Port Forwarding. You might find an add button or a (+) sign depending on your router.
- In both port fields, enter the ports of your game (found on www.portforward.com).
- Enter the computer’s IP address in the IP address field. Also, enter the IP address for the server IP or output IP for the port forwarded, so your router may know where to point.
- Select both the TCP and UDP.
- Click apply and reboot the router.
VPN (Virtual Private Network)
The VPNs can bypass the NAT firewall by encrypting all the data that leaves your device so that your physical network does not recognize it. For a VPN that offers total anonymity over the web, NAT restrictions do not apply to it, as VPN encrypts all the data that passes through the network.
All the data goes through Open and predefined ports, So your ISP can not block the ports as he won’t be able to tell what data is passing through the Open Ports.
Turning On Network Discovery
If you are using Microsoft Windows as your Operating System, you can turn on Network Discovery by following these steps:
- Search the start menu for settings.
- Click on the network and the internet.
- Click on sharing options.
- Expand the network profile assigned to your designated network.
- In the section of Network Discover, select “Turn on Network Discovery.” Moreover, check the box “Turn on automatic setup of Network-Connected Devices.”
- Click on “Save Changes.”
- Restart your device to check if the issue has been resolved.
NAT Type is mostly related to online gaming. For PC gamers having a NAT Type to moderate is the optimal setting as being on Open NAT would risk a breach in our privacy as most people download content over the internet from unsecured websites.
If you consider having a Strict NAT Type on PC, it would cost you some precious time even to download any content or visit any website as most of the ports would be blocked, and the other ports would be under high surveillance from your NAT’s firewall.
You can also use a VPN that gives you the luxury of being anonymous over the internet and bypassing NAT’s firewall by encrypting all of your data passing through the network.