Google Chrome is a widely used web browser worldwide. Being the top-performing web browser, Google Chrome needs to ensure your safety while browsing the web.
Sometimes you might find yourself facing a list of errors like:
- Your connection is not private.
- This site can not be reached.
The Errors mentioned above shows that either Google Chrome has restricted access to the website, or your local government/workplace has banned access to it.
Why Does Google Chrome Blocks Access to some Websites?
To clarify a few things, let’s dig into what is happening at the back of google chrome, restricting our access to some websites.
Firstly let’s make one thing clear: Google Chrome or any other web browser never restricts your access to any web page by itself until other users have reported about the website breaching your privacy.
They follow the guidelines provided by your government that what content the government wants to block over the internet. Google Chrome would automatically block any website that has restricted content.
Sometimes your Antivirus also restricts access to websites that contain ransomware or malware, according to user’s reports.
Your Network Administrator might have blocked access to a few websites depending on the nature of your workplace or school.
How to Unblock Websites On Google Chrome?
These are a few easy methods with which you can unblock access to the restricted websites.
Unblock Websites Using HTTPS Everywhere
Websites using unverified SSL Certificate, which host their domain on a VPS or dedicated server environment, tend to be restricted by Google Chrome.
To unblock these kinds of websites, change the encryption protocol from HTTP to HTTPS. Google Chrome will prompt the users, and you have to CLick on “Proceed Anyway” to access the blocked websites.
Here is a step by step guide on how you can do it:
- Open Google Chrome and click on the address bar.
- Instead of typing ‘http://www.example.com,’ type ‘https://www.example.com. ‘
- A security message will pop-up if the conditions mentioned earlier apply. Click “Proceed anyway” and access the blocked websites.
Use a Web Proxy
Suppose if you’re in school or working in an organization that’s blocked the access of certain websites, with a proxy, you can access them. A proxy allows you to use any blocked websites; all you need to do is connect with a proxy server.
When you use a proxy, your data passes through the proxy server and then to the web. During this process, masks your IP address, meaning you can enjoy full anonymity but remember it doesn’t encrypt the data. If you want to access any website once, then you should go with using a proxy. But, it is not a long-term solution.
Use a Tor Browser
Using the Tor browser is another method for accessing the blocked websites on Google Chrome. The onion router redirects the data traffic through several encryption layers. This method helps in getting around the content restrictions.
The browser guarantees complete anonymity and exceptional online privacy by accessing restricted sites. The only drawback you’ll experience is slow speed. It’s mainly because the traffic routes through several times, but as a whole, it’s among the best options to use.
Google Chrome Extensions
Extension in Google Chrome plays a vital role in keeping your web surfing secure and easy to use. They range from the extension of a download manager to a VPN extension.
But the only drawback in using these extensions is that they are exclusively for Google Chrome. There are hundreds of VPNs and Proxy extensions that you can use to unblock websites.
Let’s take a look at one of the best free VPNs for Google Chrome “ZenMate”:
- Launch Google Chrome and click on the three vertical dots in the upper right corner.
- Click on “More Tool” and select “Extensions.”
- Select the “Extensions” open on the top left corner.
- Select “Open Chrome Web Store.”
- Click on Search Bar and type “Zenmate.”
- Click “Add to Chrome.”
- Sign-Up and use the extension.
As Zenmate is a free VPN extension, it does not allow you to change the server location, and the bandwidth is limited.
Use a VPN
Restrictions over the web vary from country to country; most of the time, Google Chrome blocks websites as per the government or Network Administrator’s internet restrictions.
You will need a VPN to bypass those limitations as a VPN will encrypt your internet traffic, pretending to access the restricted web from any other country.
We will help you in finding some of the Best-performing VPNs:
NordVPN being the top-selling and one of the best VPNs, helps you masking your ISP location.
Some of NordVPN’s Feature:
- Software Compatibility: NordVPN offers Google Chrome’s browser extension and a standalone app for virtually any platform.
- Most servers worldwide: NordVPN provides the user with a choice between 5,000+ Servers in 59 different countries, with an array of specialty servers tailored towards specific usage.
- AdBlocker: NordVPN comes with a CyberSec module that features optional privacy against Advertisements and security against some malwares.
- Privacy: NordVPN uses 256-bit AES encryption, kill switch, and DNS leak protection, ensuring your data protection with a no-log policy.
ExpressVPN is one of the top competitors for NordVPN, as both VPNs compete for being at the top.
- Privacy and Security: ExpressVPN has a wide range of modern encryption features, reducing bandwidth loss while encrypting. Protocols like 256-bit AES over OpenVPN, as well as L2TP, keeps you secured over the web.
- Largest Server Network: With a Network consisting of 3,000+ servers in 94 countries, it is relatively easy to find a fast server in the location you are looking for.
- No-Log Policy: Underpinning these features is the No-Log Policy. This policy prohibits ExpressVPN from storing your web-activity, IP Address, Server assignments, DNS requests, and personal information.
- Split Tunneling feature: Working in an office might cause you to use your local IP to access a few files on the server. With this feature, you can use ExpressVPN for only Google Chrome while your whole device would be on your local IP address.
SurfShark offers stable connectivity with servers distributed over 62+ different countries, offering almost the same features as the top VPN competitors.
- Security and Privacy: OpenVPN, IKEv2/IPSEC, WireGuard, and Shadowsocks (Windows Only) tunneling protocols hidden within a 256-AES-GCM encrypted tunnel. These features auto-configure themselves while bypassing any kind of web.
- No Connection Limit: Purchase a single Application license and connect unlimited amounts of devices at any given time.
- Split Tunneling: With no connection limits, you can simply use your device with your local IP Address and VPNs IP Address as well.
- CleanWeb Module: By Enabling CleanWeb Module, you can stop spam sites, advertisements, trackers, and some malware content over the internet before they even get the chance to load correctly.
Using a VPN is the most viable option when you want to unblock websites on Google Chrome. A VPN will mask your local IP address and encrypt your traffic with AES-256 encryption protocol to ensure that your ISP or Network Administrator does not know what you are doing on the web. All they will see is that you have tried to access the restricted domain but nothing else. They won’t even know if you have accessed it or got the error message from Google Chrome.
Instead of using a Free VPN, buy the paid VPNs with split tunneling features that will enable you to access your office’s file on their servers and the restricted sites on Google Chrome.