ExtraTorrent was another well-known platform that ever existed. It was a general-purpose website where users could find TV shows, movies, music, games, anime, and more. In addition, its frequently updated content library and user-friendly interface made it worth using.
However, ExtraTorrent was closed unexpectedly in 2017. Many similar websites popped up with the same name, design, and content database, some of which still exist today. But nobody can confirm whether they are safe to use or not. Therefore, we have compiled this review to uncover the hidden truth about ExtraTorrent and its clone sites and how its absence affects online file-sharing.
Why Was ExtraTorrent So Popular?
ExtraTorrent remained active from 2006 to 2017. It rapidly grew in popularity due to its massive content database, user-friendly interface, and robust search capabilities. From here, users could download torrents in different categories and genres relatively quickly. This means whether it’s some latest title or an old one, ExtraTorrent included all.
The homepage classified the torrents into different categories; thus, it’s easy to browse into the specific category and look for the torrent file. In addition, the site also featured a dedicated search bar that further simplified the search process. When you entered a keyword, it gave you further options to customize your searches. For instance, filtering the result by categories, time, seeders, and leechers numbers. All this made navigation easier and downloading to be done quickly.
Furthermore, ExtraTorrent didn’t required any registration or payment process to access the site or to download torrents. Anyone can download torrents from ExtraTorrents by just visiting the website. This made the site accessible to a wider range of users globally.
Main Features of ExtraTorrent
ExtraTorrent offered various impressive features that made it an excellent option for downloading any type of digital content. Some of its most prominent features are as follows:
- It offered a simple and intuitive user interface, making it easy to find the desired content.
- The site had categories to help users locate what they wanted, such as movies, music, games, and software.
- It featured an extensive library with thousands of torrents across different categories and genres.
- The powerful search engine feature allowed users to easily find their desired content by entering the relevant keywords.
- The torrent file included all the relevant information that might help users determine the file’s worth.
- It didn’t restrict the users and provided torrent and magnet links for downloading the file.
- The site hosted powerful servers for indexing and providing a huge range of torrent files.
All these features made ExtraTorrent a top and the most convenient torrent site to use.
The Rise and Fall of ExtraTorrent – History And Timeline of Events
ExtraTorrent, like any other torrent website, had a history of facing lawsuits, domain issues, and getting blocked by governments and ISPs of various countries. Below is a timeline of all such events that ExtraTorrent experienced during its lifetime, so have a look:
- 2006: The website was launched as the biggest BitTorrent tracker system.
- 2012: Due to copyright violations, Facebook removed the ExtraTorrent fan page.
- 2013: In October, the website .com domain was suspended over the London Police Order. Google removes ExtraTorrent homepage from its search result because of anti-piracy concerns.
- 2014: ExtraTorrent, KAT, and EZTV suffered a downtime because of a DDoS attack.
- 2015: Facebook shut down ExtraTorrent official page because of copyright complaints. The site was down after hitting with a huge DDoS attack.
- 2016: The popular torrent site suffered several major DDoS attacks.
- 2017: In March, the registrar shut down the site’s main domain name, but ExtraTorrent regained control. Later, the ExtraTorrent portal announced that the site had shut down and erased all the users’ data after suffering extended downtime. After a week, the website returned with a new domain and the same content library.
- 2018: ExtraTorrent.ag, which appeared after the demise of the original ExtraTorrent, started to have domain issues and showed warning messages.
- 2019: The website got blocked in Spain along with similar torrent sites like 1337x and Limetorrents.
- 2020: A pirated copy of a documentary named Rise of the Trolls highlights the potential dangers of downloading content from ExtraTorrent and YTS.
- 2021- Present: Various proxies and mirror sites emerged, providing access to the site’s content.
The legal battle between the copyright trolls and ExtraTorrent operators hasn’t ended yet. It’s yet to see the copyright holders’ next step to prevent violations and protect their intellectual property.
Legal Troubles Surrounding ExtraTorrent?
ExtraTorrent has always been the center of numerous legal troubles due to the content it holds. In 2012, Facebook received several copyright complaints from a third party and, as a result, first removed the website’s fan page and then the site’s official page. Things didn’t end here as in the following year, due to the intervention by the City of London Police ExtraTorrent .com domain was seized. Later, Google also received complaints from movie studios, including Fox, and finally decided to remove ExtraTorrent from its search results.
However, the most critical issue that ExtraTorrent faced was in 2017. The MPA filed a complaint in Norway and asked the court to expand blockades of ExtraTorrent and several other torrent sites like TPB that were put in 2015. Several industry groups like Warner Bros, Universal, Disney, Sony, Columbia, and Paramount argued that ExtraTorrent and other pirated sites infringe their copyrights and must be blocked. This resulted in many nations blocking access to the website.
All this continued until May when the website put up a message announcing its shutdown for good. However, this hasn’t stopped the site from making headlines, as ExtraTorrent’s former operators relaunched the site with new domain names and provided a similar service to the fans.
The Legality of ExtraTorrent
Despite its popularity among torrent downloaders across the globe, ExtraTorrent’s legality has been put into question due to its use for illegal purposes. In countries including the United States, Canada, and many other European countries, uploading and downloading copyrighted material without permission from the copyright holder is illegal. If the ISP or the copyright trolls finds you illegally downloading and sharing the content, strict action can be taken, resulting in hefty fines and jail imprisonment.
Even if torrenting is not illegal within your jurisdiction, it still violates international copyright laws. Thus, ExtraTorrent can be considered illegal even if you do nothing wrong. Ensure you use a reliable torrent VPN and reduce legal troubles.
ExtraTorrent Mirror and Proxy Sites
Soon after a torrent site goes offline, a bunch of new mirror or proxy sites appear on the web. These copies may not be as good as the original, but they offer similar services without access to the real thing. The same happened with ExtraTorrent. The site is accessible via various proxy and mirror sites such as:
However, sometimes the clone sites contain copyrighted or malicious content. Hence to protect yourself from downloading anything wrong, always connect to a VPN.
ExtraTorrent Alternative Sites
Several alternative sites have stepped up to fill the void left by Extratorrents. Here are some of the best options that you can consider using:
- ISOHunt: It is the most convenient and easy-to-use site that offers torrents in all popular categories.
- Torrentz2: It is a torrent search engine that combines torrent files from other reliable sources.
- Solid Torrents: It organizes torrent files into different categories and makes it easier to find the torrent files you might be looking for.
- Dirty Torrents: It displays the list of top torrents and ensures you don’t miss out on any latest or trending releases.
- Torrent Galaxy: It includes an active forum allowing users to interact with others and seek advice on torrenting-related issues.
Besides this, some of the most common ExtraTorrent alternatives are as follows:
- The Pirate Bay: It is known as the king of torrent sites that offers millions of torrent files in various categories.
- Kickass Torrents: Its active user community and built-in user-friendly features make it users’ favorite choice.
- Ygg Torrent: It is a French torrent website that features high-quality movies and TV shows of all time.
- T411: It updates its content library regularly so you can have something new whenever you visit the sites.
- YTS: It primarily focuses on movies and lets you download old and latest titles in multiple languages.
Note: Use a VPN and install reliable antivirus software to enjoy a safe and secure downloading experience from these sites.
Is Extratorents Safe To Use?
ExtraTorrents was considered a safe website to use, but it wasn’t. As with any other torrenting site, there were risks when downloading content from ExtraTorrents like:
- Your IP address will remain visible to all prying eyes, and they could easily track your activities.
- Using ExtraTorrent could expose you to copyright infringement, and the copyright holders can file a lawsuit against you.
- Since your IP address is visible, the hackers can track your material and target you with a social engineering attack.
- It is also possible that hackers might inject malicious codes within the ads, and when you click on them, it infects the device with malware or viruses.
Therefore, many people avoid using ExtraTorrent for all the above reasons.
Steps to Download Content Safely from Torrent Sites
To reduce the risks associated with torrenting, it’s therefore advisable to proceed with caution. The following steps will help you download content from torrent sites safely:
- Use a VPN, as it conceals your online identity and encrypts your internet traffic, and makes it difficult for anyone to see your online activities.
- Install reliable antivirus software. This will help protect your system against malicious files and viruses that may be present on the site.
- Download content from reliable torrent sites; otherwise, you risk obtaining malware or illegal material.
- Go through the file details and comment section to ensure that what you are downloading is safe and does not contain anything malicious.
Copyright infringement laws exist worldwide. Therefore understand the local laws within your region before downloading content from such websites.
Cult Following of ExtraTorrent
ExtraTorrent, at its peak, had millions of users and hosted over 2 million torrent files. It was a go-to site for anyone looking to download any type of digital content for free. The reasons for Extratorrents’ cult following were manifold. On the top, the site was easy to use and had a wide selection of content in all categories, like movies, TV series, anime, and games. It was also one of the few places to find rare or obscure content. Additionally, Extratorrents allowed users could rate torrents and even upload their own.
Ultimately, the ExtraTorrent shutdown was a major blow to the piracy world, but its legacy lives on in the form of its mirror and proxy sites.
ExtraTorrent provided users access to an immense library of content and a range of features that had never been available in one place. Though the original website is no longer available, it doesn’t mean the end of torrenting. There are other similar websites that you can consider using or continue using its proxy sites. Whatever option you choose, it’s up to you, but for added protection, ensure you use a torrent VPN.
ExtraTorrent was one of the most popular and well-known torrent indexing websites. It provided an extensive selection of movies, music, software, games, and more for free download via P2P sharing services.
ExtraTorrent has been shut down since May 2017, so it is no longer available. However, you can use other torrent sites like Pirate Bay and Kickass Torrents that offer a similar service.
ExtraTorrent can be used to download copyrighted material without taking permission from the copyright holders. Also, downloading files from such a site can put your device at risk of being infected with viruses or other malicious software.
The simplest way is to use a VPN provider. It will connect you to a server located in another country and therefore helps in bypassing any restrictions that are in place. This way, a VPN hides your IP address and prevents the ISPs and other prying eyes from monitoring your torrent-related activities.
ExtraTorrent was a trendy torrent indexer that allowed users to download free digital content like movies, games, music, and software. However, in May 2017, the site announced it had permanently shutting down without any specific reason.